Scholarships Due in January
- The United States JCI Senate Foundation Scholarship - $1,000 - Available to high school seniors who live in a state with an active JCI Senate program. Iowa has an active program. Application here. Due- Jan. 24, 2020.
- Keep Iowa Beautiful offers five $1000 scholarships to Iowa high school seniors who plan to enroll in an Iowa college or university majoring in community, sociology or environmental science-related fields. To apply, students can complete the application online at here by January 31, 2020.
- Bill Mertens Memorial Daily Iowan Scholarship: Mertens, a former DI staffer, and long-time SPI Board member, was editor and publisher of The (Burlington) Hawk Eye from 1984 to 2004. He died in 2004 and left a legacy of journalistic achievement over three decades. The DI continues to honor Bill through this scholarship, which has jumpstarted the careers of many exceptional student journalists. The scholarship is for $2,000 per academic year with the potential to earn a scholarship renewal on a semester-by-semester basis, provided satisfactory progress has been made in both academic work and in the newsroom. Application here. Deadline January 31, 2020
Scholarships Due In February
- The Grand Lodge of Iowa offers scholarships to graduating Iowa high school seniors who will pursue post-secondary education in any state at an accredited institution that provides a 2 or 4-year college program. Applicants need not have a Masonic connection. The principal criterion is service to school and community with special emphasis upon leadership roles in these areas. An applicant's academic record, communication skills, and need for financial assistance are also carefully considered as is an evaluation of the applicant by a school official. Forms are available online here. Postmark deadline is February 1, 2020.
- The Iowa Environmental Health Association is offering $500 scholarships for students who are:A resident in the state of Iowa; a high school senior OR non-traditional student returning to college in the state of Iowa; currently a FT student at any college, university, or community college in the state of Iowa; and Environmental Health related field. Applications can be downloaded from HERE and are due by February 1, 2020.
- Iowa 4-H Foundation Scholarships - Scholarships range from $500 - $3500. Applicants must be former or current 4-H members. 4-H Scholarships Due February 1, 2020. Application Here
- Triangle Scholar-Leader Scholarship Award- is a merit-based scholarship for incoming freshman or transfer students attending Iowa State University in the Fall 2020. Students majoring in engineering, architecture, or science are eligible for this award. Must be a male, planning on attending Iowa State, 3.0 GPA or higher, commitment to community improvement. Up to $5000 in scholarship to be awarded. Application here. Due February 1, 2020.
- Local-New Century Farm Service goal is to encourage area students to prepare for a career in agriculture or agribusiness. The scholarship program is designed to provide financial assistance to dependents of New Century employees or customers. There are five $1500 scholarships available. In order to apply, you must be active in local FFA or 4H, be a dependent of a New Century FS customer, member or employee, and have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA. Applications are available here. Deadline is February 3, 2020.
- Iowa Credit Union Foundation promotes the Warren A. Morrow Memorial Scholarship which is awarded to students who have an account in his/her name and a member in good standing at a credit union that is a member of the Iowa Credit Union League. The online application can be found here. Deadline is February 7, 2020.
- Iowa Newspaper Foundation Scholarships - Several scholarships are offered for students interested in journalism, photo-journalism, communications, graphic design, etc. More information can be found at the - Iowa Newspaper Foundation Website. Due - February 14, 2020
- Alliant Energy Innovation Scholarship - Alliant Energy recognizes outstanding community leadership in young people and helps students reach their academic goals. Up to 25 $1,000 scholarships are awarded to students annually through the Alliant Energy Innovation Scholarship Program. Award selection is based on participation in a leadership role in community service activities and volunteer work; academic grade point average; standardized test scores; and the content of a 300-word essay submission. Application here. Due: February 15, 2020.
- National Co-Op Scholarship Application- The national co-op scholarship program only applies to specific institutions including Clarkson, Drexel, Johnson & Wales Universities, Merrimack College, Wentworth and Rochester Institutes of Technology, University of Cincinnati, State University of New York Oswego and The University of Toledo. Go here to complete the application online. Due February 15, 2020
- Mediacom Communications- For the 2019-2020 school year, it is again offering 55 -$1000, non-renewable scholarships through its World Class Scholarship Program to senior high school students in areas served by Mediacom. While it is not required that the student be a Mediacom customer, the applicant must live in the areas serviced by Mediacom. The application is online here. Deadline February 15, 2020.
- DAR-Daughters of American Revolution: Will be offering one scholarship to a student that plans on attending an accredited college or university. This is a renewable scholarship based on academic excellence, commitment to field of study and/or financial need. Applications for this scholarship and others through DAR can be found here. Due February 15, 2020.
- Iowa Financial Know-How Challenge Senior Scholarship.- The 30 students with the highest scores on the assessment portion will earn $2000 that will be sent directly to your college or university. Interested seniors should go to HERE to register and read the complete scholarship rules before February 21, 2020. Once registered, seniors will receive an email with instructions to complete two online tutorials and a multiple-choice assessment.
- Local ~ Ronald Graham Memorial Scholarship- The $300 Ronald Graham Memorial Scholarship was established by Dave Kaisand in memory of his close childhood friend Ron Graham who passed away as an adult from cancer. This scholarship is for a student who lives in a rural area and is attending a community or vocational school. The recipient of this scholarship may be either male or female and must reside in rural Grinnell. The recipient should be a student attending a vocational school or community college. Application here. Due February 21, 2020
- Local ~ The Lance Reimers Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a GHS graduating senior who attended Davis Elementary and wishes to further his/her education in an accredited program at any vocational/technical school, 2 or 4 year college or university. Application here. Deadline is February 28, 2020.
- Masonry Institute of Iowa Scholarship - Applicants must be continuing their education at an Iowa school in the Construction, Architecture or Engineering field. TEN scholarships of $500 were awarded to seniors last year. More information and the application can be found here. Due February 28, 2020
Scholarships Due In March
- Grand Lodge of Iowa is offering the Mark Earl and Ruth Spencer Technical Scholarship to seniors who plan to enroll in a mechanical or trade program at an accredited community college in Iowa. Applications are available online. All materials must be postmarked by March 1, 2020 for the application to be considered.
- The ACACIA Leadership Scholarship is designed to identify and reward outstanding male high school seniors who will attend Iowa State University and who have demonstrated the ability to excel in academics, school activities, and community involvement. Preference for awarding of the scholarships is given to students with an interest in the ACACIA Fraternity. Demonstrated financial need is not a criteria. Deadline is March 1, 2020. Application here.
- The AWS Foundation : Is offering 3 different types of scholarships this year. National, District, and Section scholarships! Scholarships are available for students attending trade schools, community colleges, and four-year universities. Students complete one master application for all eligible scholarships. Apply online here. Due March 1, 2020.
- Iowa Farm Bureau Federation Scholarship - Iowa Farm Bureau awards (54) $1,000 scholarships annually to students pursuing the completion of a two or four-year college degree pursuing a major in agriculture, nursing or education The 2019 deadline to submit your IFBF Scholarship application to your county Farm Bureau office is March 1, 2020. The complete IFBF Scholarship application guidelines and a county Farm Bureau directory are included in the application.
- The All Iowa Opportunity Scholarship (AIOS) This scholarship is for high school seniors who will be attending college for the first time in Fall 2019. To be eligible, students must: File the FAFSA on/before March 1, 2019; File the Iowa Financial Aid application on/before March 1, 2019; Attend an eligible college or university in Iowa; Have an eligible Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on the 2019-20 FAFSA. (The 2020-21 eligible EFC won't be determined until late Spring 2020. For reference, the 2019-20 eligible EFC was $0 - $9,064). An application can be found here. Due March 1, 2020
- Iowa Automobile Dealers Foundations Scholarship - Will award up to 15 scholarships of $2000 to students who plan to pursue training in automotive-related studies, accounting, or business administration. Must have a copy of your Estimated Family Contribution from the FAFSA. Iowa Automobile Scholarship If interested in this completing this application please see Ms. Pearce to connect you with a current board member to do a short interview for a great recommendation for award. Application Due - March 2, 2020. Application here.
- Local - The Kalleen Buchmeier Memorial Scholarship - $500 scholarship awarded to a GHS senior who has been active in extracurricular activities within the school and community. To be eligible, students must have a 3.0 GPA and plan to attend a 2 or 4-year college. Students fill out an application & write an essay in response to Kali's 2011 graduation speech found here. Applications here. Due - March 3, 2020.
- The Freddy Miranda Access Scholarship is awarded to five Iowa high school seniors, whose high schools and chosen colleges are members of Iowa ACAC. Freddy Miranda was someone who was giving of his time, cared for others, and had a desire to improve the world. It is our hope to honor Freddy’s memory by choosing scholarship recipients that embody similar qualities and characteristics. The deadline to apply for the Freddy Miranda Access Scholarship is March 4, 2020 Application here.
- Local ~ The Walter Harris Memorial GHS Band Student Scholarship: $1000 is awarded to a GHS graduating senior who is a member of the high school band and is planning on attending either a 2 or 4-year college or entering into an internship or entrepreneurship. Application here. Due March 4, 2020.
- Local ~ The Rachel and Richard Sanders Scholarship is available to a GHS senior who demonstrates financial need, who sets a positive example for others and who is attending an institution of higher education. Applications here. Please return the application to the Counseling Office by March 5, 2020.
- Local- Audrey Pederson Memorial Scholarship application: To be eligible, you must be a graduating senior who demonstrates financial need and will attend a vocational school or community college. Application deadline is March 6, 2020. Application here.
- Local- Dan F. Agnew Scholarship- (3) $1000 will be awarded to a GHS graduating senior with an interest in education, agriculture or business. You will need to graduate in the top 40% of your class, have participated in extra-curricular school and community activities, and show character and leadership. Applications can be found here. Deadline is March 6, 2020.
- Local ~ Newburg Alumni Association Award -The recipient of this scholarship may be either male or female who is a rural resident of the Newburg area (former Newburg Consolidated School District.) One $400 scholarship will be awarded. Due March 6, 2020. Application here
- Local ~ Bear Creek Chapter Whitetails Unlimited Scholarship is open to all graduating seniors. The scholarships awarded will total up to $250. Applications here. The deadline is March 10. 2020.
- Local- SHE Counts First Generation Scholarship - The recipient of this scholarship will be a first-generation college-bound female. First priority will be given to a student with demonstrated financial need. A renewable $500 scholarship will be awarded a maximum of $2000. The scholarship will be awarded for a maximum of 4 years as long as the student is enrolled in an accredited institution. Applications here. Due - March 10, 2020.
- Local- The Tim Longman Memorial Scholarship - $1,000 scholarship is available to a Grinnell High School graduating senior who plans to further his/her education in an accredited program at any vocational/technical school, 2 or 4-year college or university. The scholarship is aimed at a well-rounded student, who displays balance in school, activities, volunteering, home-life, working in the community, and also demonstrates the need for financial assistance. Application here. Must use this Recommendation Form. Due March 11, 2020.
- Local- The Audrey Rivers Griffith Scholarship - The recipient of the Audrey Rivers Griffith Scholarship should demonstrate financial need and good citizenship with future plans to attend a vocational school or community college. One $2,000 scholarship will be awarded. Application here. Due March 11, 2020.
- Local ~ Nathan Figland Wrestling- The $300 Nathan Figland Memorial Scholarship was established by Dave Kaisand, Nathan’s father. Mr. Kaisand coached Nathan in baseball and officiated him in wrestling. Nathan was killed in a car accident shortly after high school graduation. The recipient of this scholarship must be a student that has participated in wrestling while in high school. Applicants will have plans on attending an institution of higher education. Preference will be given to applicants with the intention of wrestling at the collegiate level. Application here. Applications due March 12, 2020.
Local - The EPC Scholarship - Applicants must demonstrate financial need and enroll in an institution of higher learning. Applicants are awarded $300. Applications here. - Due- March 13, 2020.
Local- The 2019 Dolly Ahrens Achievement Scholarships are available to graduating GHS seniors who are not necessarily the best academic students or the most talented individuals but should be a self-directed person who is a responsible contributor to the community. The scholarship will be awarded to up to ten seniors in the amount of $2,500. Application here. Applications must be returned to the counseling office. The deadline is March 13, 2020.
Community 1st Credit Union - program to assist active members who are current high school seniors and plan to continue their education in college or vocational school. Application here. Due March 13, 2020.
Local ~ Victor T Wilson MD- The recipient of this scholarship should be a student pursuing a degree in a medical/health field with preference given to a student enrolling in a nursing or pre-medicine degree program at a 4-year accredited institution of higher education. One $500 scholarship will be awarded. Applications here. Applications due March 13, 2020.
- The Herbert Hoover Uncommon Student Award is designed to attract students who are motivated and community-minded. The award identifies approximately 15 Iowa high school juniors who propose and then accomplish a project of their own design. The projects the students propose should display the values that Herbert Hoover demonstrated in his life. Click here for additional information and application. Due is March 15, 2020.
- First Friday Breakfast Club is awarding $3,000 scholarships to Iowa HS Seniors who have demonstrated leadership on efforts to increase education and understanding of LGBT issues and reduce homophobia in their schools and communities. Applications and information can be obtained online. Applications must be postmarked no later than March 16, 2020.
- Donald and Carol D. Kaisand Scholarship- The Donald & Carol D. Kaisand Scholarship was established in 2019 for a graduating senior who will attend Iowa State University. First priority will be given to students who possess financial need. The recipient must complete the first term at ISU and show proof of continued attendance to his/her high school counselor before receiving the scholarship money. Applications here. Applications are due March 23, 2020.
- Local - Dr. Jeff Knobloch Memorial Scholarship - One $1000 will be given to graduating senior who displays excellent citizenship and has financial need. Applications here. Due March 24, 2020.
- Local ~ The Fitzgerald Education Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to a graduating male or female senior who intends to major in education in college with the goal of being a teacher and has a 2.65 (B-) or above gpa. A $500 minimum award will be presented at the GHS Honors Night. Applications here. Deadline is March 24, 2020.
- The 2020 Robert Smiley Scholarship is offered to senior Iowa girls who have a minimum 2.5 gpa, have lettered in one varsity sport each year of high school, and extra attention given to the application showing a specific need. Each high school is limited to 1 nomination. The value of the Robert Smiley Scholarship is $1000. GHS can only submit one application. Please bring completed applications to the counseling office by March 25, 2020. The deadline to nominate is April 3, 2020. To download an application go here.
- Iowa Hospital Education & Research Foundation: The ultimate goal of this program is to fill Iowa health care positions that currently have a notable number of openings by offering significant financial support to students seeking health care education. In exchange for that financial support, each award recipient must commit to working one year in an Iowa hospital for each year of the scholarship award. Application here. Due March 30, 2020.
- The SFM Foundation Scholarship is available to students whose parents were killed or seriously injured in workplace accidents while working for Iowa, Minnesota or Wisconsin employers. You can find the application here. Application deadline is March 31, 2020.
- The Janice M. Scott Memorial Scholarship Fund was established as a memorial to Mrs. Scott who was killed in the attack on the Pentagon on Sept. 11. You will need a 3.0 or better gpa, will attend a four year college/university in the U.S., have demonstrated leadership abilities through participating in community services or other extra curricular activities, and combined adjusted income for your parent(s) cannot exceed $50,000. Application here. Deadline is March 31, 2020.
- Automotive Aftermarket Scholarships are available for students training to become automotive, heavy duty or collision repair technicians, and to students in business, marketing, engineering or other major courses of study. Apply online now Due March 31, 2020.
Scholarships Due In April
- Youth Forward Scholarship Program: National Driving and Traffic School is proud to announce their 2020 scholarship opportunity, entitled “In the Driver’s Seat.” The company is seeking to reward essay applicants $3,000 in scholarships- for students enrolled as a High School Sophomore, Junior, or Senior or as a College Freshman – on the topic of being a safer driver. Application here. Due April 1, 2020.
- Local -Grinnell Area Arts Council will award up to three scholarships of $400 each in the areas of visual arts/creative writing, music, and theatrical arts/dance. GHS seniors may apply to as many of these areas as they wish, although a student may only be awarded one scholarship, even if they apply in multiple areas. Application here. The deadline is April 1, 2020.
- Local- Poweshiek Mutual Insurance Association is pleased to announce its intent to provide a $500 scholarship to a graduating senior of GHS. The Clifford L. Strovers Scholarship is for one year only. To qualify, you must be admitted to an accredited university, community college, or private college, be a full time student for both semester of college, and have a minimum 2.5 gpa. Winners will be selected on merit and financial need. Application here. Deadline is April 1, 2020
- Local - Lanny Pinkerton Memorial Scholarship - Senior wrestlers eligible to apply. Application here. Due April 5, 2020
- Local - Jim Dayton 1976 Memorial Scholarship - Applicants must plan to pursue a program in HVAC, Agriculture Related, or other Skilled Trades areas. Application here. - Due April 7, 2020.
- Local- Grinnell PEO Scholarship is for a female GHS graduate who plans to further her education at a public or private accredited college/university. Any young woman who is in the upper 30% of her class may apply. Application here. Deadline is April 7, 2020.
- Local- Jensen Optometrists Health Care Scholarship provides a $500 for college education for a graduating senior of GHS who has particular interest in pursuing a career in health care. This would include but not limited to the professions of optometry, medicine, dentistry, podiatry, chiropractic, physical therapy, psychology or nursing. You will need to have a 3.0 GPA. Application here. Deadline is April 9, 2020.
- Local- The Grinnell Rotary Club Scholarship- is available to any graduating GHS senior. You must attend 3 Rotary meetings during the school year. Meetings are held on Tuesday evenings at 6 p.m. at the West Side Diner. The Rotary Club provides a meal for each student. Please use this google doc to sign up for the meetings you would like to attend. Applications here. Due April 10, 2020.
- Local - D. Arlene Johnson Memorial Scholarship - $500 - Applicants must be senior girls who have participated in either golf or basketball throughout their high school careers. Application here. Due - April 10, 2020
- Local- The Grinnell Community Scholarship is given to GHS graduates who live within the city limits of Grinnell, meet the financial guidelines (should no income-eligible individuals apply, consideration will be open to all who apply), and attend a vocational/technical school, 2 or 4-year college/university. This is a one-year scholarship for $1000 payable to the school of attendance. Application here. Deadline is April 10, 2020.
- Local- Nathan P. Figland Memorial Scholarship is established in the amount of $300 to be awarded to a GHS graduating senior enrolling in a Criminal Justice program. The scholarship award will be paid upon proof of satisfactory completion of the first semester of college. This scholarship is given in memory of Nathan Figland, a 2003 graduate of GHS. Application here. Deadline is April 15, 2020.
- Local- Helen and Mildred T. Stewart offer a scholarship to a GHS graduating senior who are particularly interested in Library Science. If there are no such graduates scholarships may be paid to graduates who will enroll in a college liberal arts program. Financial need may or may not be a factor. Application here. Applications will need to be returned to the office of Bierman & Petig before April 15, 2020.
- Local- The Grinnell Lions Club will offer up to 2 scholarships for GHS graduating seniors who show good character, have at least a 1.67 gpa (C-) and have been involved in a school or community activity. Financial need may or may not be a consideration. You must be enrolled in a two year or less Vocational/Technical program and complete the first semester successfully. Application here. Deadline is April 15, 2020.
Scholarships Due In May
- The $1000.00 Pureland Supply Scholarship is available to students who have been accepted to an accredited trade school, vocational college, technical school or community college for the study of trade, craft, or labor occupations. Recipients are chosen on their ability to describe how their chosen trade or field plays an important role in today’s world and why this is the path they have chosen. Application here. Due May 1, 2020
- ProjectorLamps.com $1,000.00 Scholarship is available to a student enrolled as a Business major who may one day be an entrepreneur and start their own business. This is an annual scholarship that will be offered every year. Application here. Due May 1, 2020.
- The Robert D. Blue Scholarship is awarded to Iowa graduating high school seniors who will attend a college/university in Iowa. You will need to write a 500 word essay, and submit you or your family's tax returns. Applications are only accepted online at www.rdblue.org/application/. Deadline is May 10, 2020.
- Children's Cancer Connection Empowering Scholarship - Awarded to graduating Iowa high school seniors who have been directly affected by childhood cancer (includes individuals who currently have or have had cancer before age 18, or a sibling of that individual). You must attend an accredited two or four-year institution and have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Children's Cancer Connection Empowering Scholarship App Due - May 29, 2020
- 2019-2020 Personal Injury Attorney Scholarship: This $1,000 scholarship is available to students pursuing or planning on pursuing a career in law. More information on the program can be found here. Applications are due May 31. 2020.
Scholarships Due In June
- The Iowa PGA Foundation is offering an annual scholarship! The Charlie Burkart Scholarship is offered to students who have an interest in golf and could potentially contribute to the game in some capacity in the future. The application is available here. Due June 19, 2020
- Latinos Unidos of Iowa is proud to grant scholarships for Latino/Latina students who will attend Iowa institutions of higher education. An important criteria in evaluating applications is the applicant's participation in school activities, volunteer activities or activities within the Latino community. Further information and guidelines can be found here. Deadline is June 15, 2020.