Scholarships with Extended Due Date
- The Bright Scholars of Iowa Award - is a need-based grant designed to help ensure that selected outstanding Iowa high school seniors have the financial means to complete a two-year or four-year college education without debt. Scholarships will be awarded to students who plan to attend UNI, ISU, IOWA or DMACC, Southwest Iowa CC, Indian Hills CC. Applicants must be a high achieving student, and qualify for a Pell grant as determined by filing the FAFSA The amount of the award will equal the amount of the first year of attendance. Go to: http://www.brightscholarsofiowa.org/ Deadline varies by institution but opens after completion of FAFSA
- Horatio Alger Career & Technical Scholarship Program - up to $2500 - Awarded to students who have faced and overcome great obstacles in their lives who wish to pursue a career or technical education at an accredited non-profit post-secondary institution. Go to this website for more information and to apply.
Scholarships due in April
- Local -The Grinnell Community Scholarship is given to GHS graduates who live within the city limits of Grinnell, meet the financial guidelines (should no income-eligible individuals apply, consideration will be open to all who apply), and attend a vocational/technical school, 2 or 4-year college/university. This is a one-year scholarship for $1000 payable to the school of attendance. Two-part application Step 1 here and 2nd part here. Deadline is April 17, 2019
Local- Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office Employee Association will be awarding one scholarship in the amount of $500. The scholarship will go to a senior who will attend college with a major in Criminal Justice or a related field of study. This award will be paid after the completion of the first semester after proof is provided of attaining at least a C in all enrolled classes and continued enrollment in a qualified program. Application here. Deadline is April 17, 2019.
- ISSDA Evelyn Covington Scholarship - The Evelyn Covington Scholarship Award provides up to ten $1,000 scholarships annually to senior high school children of current ISSDA (Iowa State Sheriffs' & Deputies' Association) members. Online application here. Due: April 18, 2019
- Brian Pearson Memorial Scholarship - Each year, this $1,000 scholarship is offered to one male and one female high school junior or senior that has participated in past Iowa Games events such as Summer Games, Winter Games, Net Fest, etc. Application here. Applications must be received by April 18, 2019.
- Freightliner Truck Center Companies are offering diesel technician scholarships for graduating seniors who will enroll in an accredited diesel or collision repair technology program. The demand for diesel techs is growing rapidly with an expected industry growth rate of 15% by 2020. Learn how you can apply for a $10,000 scholarship with Truck Center Companies. Application here. Due 2 months before the start of college-level class.
- Local -Grinnell Area Arts Council will award up to three scholarships of $400 each in the areas of visual arts/creative writing, music, and theatrical arts/dance. GHS seniors may apply to as many of these areas as they wish, although a student may only be awarded one scholarship, even if they apply in multiple areas. Application here. Deadline is April 22, 2019.
- Local- Green Futures Scholarship is a $1,000 scholarship given to a GHS graduating senior wishing to pursue college education relating to the "green future" no matter what professional path is chosen. High emphasis will be on your continued activity in making the green future a reality throughout college and beyond. Also, emphasis will be placed on financial need, academic performance, and character. Application here. Deadline is April 26, 2019.
- Local- The Steve Kriegel Athletic Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to a graduating male or female senior who has been a member of an athletic team their senior year. The memorial fund is in memory of Steve Kriegel, a long time teacher and coach at Grinnell High School. This scholarship will continue his involvement with youth and his beliefs in goals, organization, and a commitment to be the best. Stop by the Counseling Office to pick up your application. The completed application, two recommendation forms (one must be completed by the applicant’s coach) and an official high school transcript must be returned to the Grinnell High School Counseling Office. Application here. Due by April 23, 2019. No late applications will be accepted!
- Local- The Grinnell Rotary Club Scholarship- is available to any graduating GHS senior. You must attend 3 Rotary meetings during the school year. Meetings are held Tuesday evenings at 6 p.m. at the West Side Diner. The Rotary Club provides a meal for each student. Please use this google doc to sign up for the meetings you would like to attend. Applications here. Due April 26, 2019.
- Local- ARC of Poweshiek County offers scholarships of $1500 to selected candidates who will pursue undergraduate level courses in special education, with a focus on working with people with mental disabilities. Applications are in counseling office or here. Deadline is April 30, 2019.
- Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 490 in Des Moines will offer two $500 college scholarships to assist Vietnam Era Veteran family members with the costs of undergraduate studies at accredited educational or technical institutions. The awards will be based on academic standing for the last year of classes prior to application, ACT/SAT scores, 2 letters of recommendation, and your resume. Application here. Deadline is April 30, 2019.
- The National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth will offer two $2000 scholarships to any graduating senior who is or has been homeless during their K-12 school years and who have demonstrated average or higher than average achievement. Apply online here. Deadline is April 30, 2019.
Scholarships due in May
Iowa Association of Building Officials will offer Iowa graduating seniors one 4 year program student $500 each year up to 4 years and one 2 year program student will receive $500 each year for up to 2 years. Check out the eligible programs at the colleges listed. Applications need to be mailed and the deadline is May 1, 2019 www.iabo.net
Local- Poweshiek County Pheasants Forever Scholarship is awarded to a graduating senior in Poweshiek County who will pursue a career in the natural resource field. Students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA, must demonstrate leadership skills, have done community service, and have a commitment and passion for conservation and improvement of wildlife habitat. Application here. Deadline is May 1, 2019.
Iowa Foundation Agricultural Advancement helps fund many awards in the 2018 Winner's Circle Scholarships. There is one application for all the awards. Applicants can attend a 2 or 4-year college/university with an ag major, and be involved in 4H and/or FFA. Application here. Deadline is May 1, 2019.
Local- Grinnell PEO Scholarship is for a female GHS graduate who plans to further her education at a public or private accredited college/university. Any young woman who is in the upper 30% of her class may apply. Application here. Deadline is May 6, 2019.
Local ~ Donald and Carol D. Kaisand Scholarship- The Donald & Carol D. Kaisand Scholarship was established in 2019 for a graduating senior who will attend Iowa State University. First priority will be given to students who possess financial need. The recipient must complete the first term at ISU and show proof of continued enrollment to his/her high school counselor before receiving the scholarship money. Applications can be picked up the counseling officer or here. Applications are due May 7, 2019
- The Robert D. Blue Scholarship is awarded to Iowa graduating high school seniors who will attend a college/university in Iowa. You will need to write a 500-word essay, and submit you or your family's tax returns. Applications are only accepted online at www.rdblue.org/application/. Deadline is May 10, 2019.
- Children's Cancer Connection Empowering Scholarship - Awarded to graduating Iowa high school seniors who have been directly affected by childhood cancer (includes individuals who currently have or have had cancer before age 18, or a sibling of that individual). You must attend an accredited two or four-year institution and have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Children's Cancer Connection Empowering Scholarship App Due - May 31, 2019
|Scholarship due in June
- The $1000.00 Pureland Supply Scholarship is available to students who have been accepted to an accredited trade school, vocational college, technical school or community college for the study of trade, craft, or labor occupations. Recipients are chosen on their ability to describe how their chosen trade or field plays an important role in today’s world and why this is the path they have chosen. Application here. Due Date June 1, 2019
- The Joe Francis Haircare Scholarships will be awarded to students currently applying for entrance into cosmetology/barbering school. Applications are accepted from January 1-June 1 each year. Apply here
- The Iowa PGA Foundation is offering an annual scholarship! The Charlie Burkart Scholarship is offered to students who have an interest in golf and could potentially contribute to the game in some capacity in the future. The application is available here. Due June 14, 2019
- Latinos Unidos of Iowa is proud to grant scholarships for Latino/Latina students who will attend Iowa institutions of higher education. An important criteria in evaluating applications is the applicant's participation in school activities, volunteer activities or activities within the Latino community. Further information and guidelines can be found here. Deadline is June 15, 2019.