Scholarships with Extended Due Date
- The Bright Scholars of Iowa Award - is a need-based grant designed to help ensure that selected outstanding Iowa high school seniors have the financial means to complete a two-year or four-year college education without debt. Scholarships will be awarded to students who plan to attend UNI, ISU, IOWA or DMACC, Southwest Iowa CC, Indian Hills CC. Applicants must be a high achieving student, and qualify for a Pell grant as determined by filing the FAFSA The amount of the award will equal the amount of the first year of attendance. Go to: http://www.brightscholarsofiowa.org/home Deadline varies by institution but opens after completion of FAFSA
Scholarships due in December
- The E. Wayne Cooley Scholarship Award is a scholarship established in tribute to the man most responsible for making the “Iowa Girl” number one in the nation. The profile of the recipient should reflect discipline, perseverance, character, superior athletic skill, leadership, academic achievement and citizenship traits that have personified the life and expectation of the late Dr. E. Wayne Cooley. Financial awards are given to six finalists. Five finalists will receive a $1,000 scholarship grant. The E. Wayne Cooley Scholarship Award winner will receive a $15,000 scholarship ($3,750 annually). Applicants (female) must have a 3.75 GPA, participate in 2 sports, have an ACT of at least a 25, and attend a college/university in IOWA. GHS may only pick one nominee. Preliminary applications should be printed off and turned in to the Counseling Office by Thurs, Dec. 13, 2018. Grinnell's recipient will be notified on Fri., Dec. 14 and they should ask for letters of reference. The online application is due by Dec. 31, 2018. Go here for more information and a link to the application
- AXA Achievement Scholarship - Applicants must demonstrate ambition and self-drive as evidence by outstanding achievement in school, community or work-related activities. If you are headed for college, you could be one of 52 seniors nationwide who qualifies. For more information, click here! Application deadline Dec. 14, 2018 or until 10,000 applications are received.
- The Hixson Opportunity Scholarship is a half-tuition scholarship, estimated at more than $16,000 over the course of eight semesters. Applicants must attend Iowa State University or Creighton University. One recipient will be chosen from each of Iowa's counties. The award is a half-tuition scholarship for all four years. Students must have faced challenges of personal and/or financial hardship. The FAFSA must be filed as soon as possible. The FAFSA must be filed as soon as possible after Oct. 1st. The online Hixson Award application is available here. Due: December 15, 2018
- Burger King McLamore Foundation Scholarship available to all HS seniors with a GPA of 2.5 or higher. Applicants are eligible to receive up to $50,000 in scholarship awards. Click here to apply. Applications will be accepted from October 15 - December 15, 2018
- The "College IS Power" Scholarship is open to students age 17 and older who plan to start college within the next 12 months. 1st place award is $1000. Online application here. Due December 31, 2019
Scholarships Due in January
- Profile in Courage Essay Contest - The John F. Kenndy Library Foundation invites U.S. high school students to write an essay on an act of political courage by a U.S. elected official who served during or after 1956. First place prize worth over $10,000. Second place - $1,000. Up to 5 finalists - $500 cash award. For contest information, registration, and to submit your essay, visit the Profile in Courage Essay Contest at this website. Due - January 1, 2019
- National Turkey Federation Scholarship - Are you a current member of the National Wild Turkey Federation with a current hunting license and at least a 3.0 GPA? Apply online here! Students will need to submit it to their local NWTF chapter. You can find local chapters by going to NWTF.org and using the tool at the bottom of the page. Application Deadline is January 1, 2019
- GE-Reagan Foundation Scholarship Program - Awards roughly 20 college-bound students who demonstrate exemplary leadership, drive, integrity, and citizenship with $10,000 renewable scholarships-up to $40,000 total per recipient. For more information, eligibility requirements and an online application, visit here. Due January 4, 2019
- Iowa School Counselor Association Senior Scholarship is for seniors who will be pursuing post-secondary education or training and can write about a school counselor who has made a difference! Applications are due January 4, 2019. the announcement will be made public during School Counselor Week. Application Here
- UnderRecruited Preps- the leading college athletic recruiting platform, is awarding a $2,000 scholarship to a top student-athlete looking to play at the next level.Eligibility Requirements: 1.You may apply for this scholarship if you are currently enrolled and pursuing a high school diploma. 2. You must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 at the time of your application. 3.Continuing your athletic career at the next level. D1, D2, D3, NAIA, Junior College, or Prep School. Click here for application. Due January 6, 2019
- Keep Iowa Beautiful offers five $1000 scholarships to Iowa high school seniors who plan to enroll in an Iowa college or university majoring in community, sociology or environmental science-related fields. To apply, students can complete the application online. Due January 8, 2019
- The United States JCI Senate Foundation Scholarship - $1,000 - Available to high school seniors who live in a state with an active JCI Senate program. Iowa has an active program. Go to application here. Due- Jan. 11, 2019.
- Timberline Billing Service Scholarships - Five $2000 scholarships to students who are, or have been on an IEP during high school. Students must plan on attending a two year, four year or technical school. Must create an account to start an application. Timberline Scholarship Application Due: January 15, 2019
- Central Iowa Mensa Scholarship - Central Iowa Mensa is participating in the Mensa Education a& Research Foundation's local scholarship program ($600). More information and the online application are available here. Applications must be submitted- January 19, 2019
- The Coolidge Scholarship - A full ride scholarship that is offered to JUNIORS to cover tuition, room, board, and expenses for four years of undergrad study, to be used at any accredited U.S. college or university. This is a scholarship awarded based on academic merit. For more information and application: Coolidgescholars.org Due January 23, 2019
- Department of Physics and Astronomy at The University of Iowa will award one $1000 grant each year, renewable for up to 3 successive years following the initial award, to an entering freshman from the state of Iowa. This scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic merit, not financial need. Please go here for an application. The deadline for applications is JANUARY 31, 2019.
Scholarships due in February
- The Elks National Foundation also offers scholarships for Elks families. The Legacy Awards offer 300 college scholarships worth $4000 to the children and grandchildren of Elks members. Applicants are judged on the core values of the Elks: knowledge, charity, community service, and integrity. Applications are available online here. Applications must be submitted by February 1, 2019
- Iowa 4-H Foundation Scholarships - Scholarships range from $500 - $3500. Applicants must be former or current 4-H members. 4-H Scholarships Due February 1, 2019. Application Here
- The Iowa Environmental Health Association is offering $500 scholarships for students who are: A resident in the state of Iowa; A high school senior OR non-traditional student returning to college in the state of Iowa; currently a full time student at any college, university, or community college in the state of Iowa; an Environmental Health related field. Applications can be downloaded from here. Due by February 1, 2019.
- The Grand Lodge of Iowa offers scholarships to graduating Iowa high school seniors who will pursue post-secondary education in any state at an accredited institution which provides a 2 or 4 year college program. Applicants need not have Masonic connection. The principal criterion is service to school and community with special emphasis upon leadership roles in these areas. An applicant's academic record, communication skills, and need for financial assistance are also carefully considered as is an evaluation of the applicant by a school official. Forms are available online here. Postmark deadline is February 1, 2019.
- America's Farmers Grow Ag Leaders, sponsored by the Monsanto fund, is giving students the chance to earn a $1,500 scholarship in an ag-related field of study. You can apply at here. Due February 6, 2019
- The Hy-Vee Foundation Scholarship Program - Offers forty $1000 scholarships to high school seniors who have worked for Hy-Vee or subsidiary since Sept. 15 of this past year. Sons/daughters of full or part-time Hy-Vee employees (six months employment as of Sept. 15) are also eligible. Students must have an ACT score. Applications here. Due -February 8, 2019
- Iowa Credit Union Foundation promotes the Warren A. Morrow Memorial Scholarship which is awarded to students who have an account in his/her name and a member in good standing at a credit union that is a member of the Iowa Credit Union League. The online application can be found here. Deadline is February 8, 2019.
- Local ~ The Clifford and Marilyn Strovers Scholarship is available to students who demonstrate financial need and plan to attend a trade school or community college. If you would like to apply, pick up a form in the counseling office, or print it off here. The application must be returned to the Counseling Office by February 9, 2019.
- Iowa Newspaper Foundation Scholarships - Several scholarships are offered for students interested in journalism, photo-journalism, communications, graphic design, etc. More information can be found at the - Iowa Newspaper Foundation Website. Due - February 15, 2019
- Mediacom Communications - For the 2018-2019 school year, is again offering 55 -$1000, non-renewable scholarships through its World Class Scholarship Program to senior high school students in areas served by Mediacom. While it is not required that the student be a Mediacom customer, the applicant must live in the areas serviced by Mediacom. The application is online. Deadline February 15, 2019
- National Co-Op Scholarship Application- The national co-op scholarship program only applies to specific institutions including Clarkson, Drexel, Johnson & Wales Universities, Merrimack College, Wentworth and Rochester Institutes of Technology, University of Cincinnati, State University of New York Oswego and The University of Toledo. Go here to complete the application online. Due February 15, 2019
- Alliant Energy Innovation Scholarship - Alliant Energy recognizes outstanding community leadership in young people and helps students reach their academic goals. Up to 25 $1000 scholarships are awarded to students annually through the Alliant Energy Innovation Scholarship Program. Award selection is based on participation in a leadership role in community service activities and volunteer work; academic grade point average; standardized test scores; and content of a 300-word essay submission. Application here. Due: February 15, 2019
- Masonry Institute of Iowa Scholarship - Applicants must be continuing their education at an Iowa school in the Construction, Architecture or Engineering field. TEN scholarships of $500 were awarded to seniors last year. More information and the application can be found here. Due February 15, 2019.
- Iowa Financial Know-How Challenge Senior Scholarship - $2000 - Awarded to 30 Iowa high school seniors. Click here to register. Iowa Student Loan will then email you instructions to complete 2 online components and a related assessment. Essays may be required as a tiebreaker. Due -February 22, 2019
Scholarships due in March
Iowa Farm Bureau Federation Scholarship - Iowa Farm Bureau awards (54) $1,000 scholarships annually to students pursuing the completion of a two or four-year college degree pursuing a major in agriculture, nursing or education. The 2019 deadline to submit your IFBF Scholarship application to your county Farm Bureau office is March 1, 2019. The complete IFBF Scholarship application guidelines and a county Farm Bureau directory are included in the application.
National Cellular Directory Scholarship - Winners will be chosen based on the nature of their essay and quality of their answers. We are looking for writers who are passionate about technology and who have a strong opinion on the impact that technology has on communication. Go to the website to see application details. Application due March 1, 2019.
Local ~The Lance Reimers Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a GHS graduating senior who attended Davis Elementary and wishes to further his/her education in an accredited program at any vocational/technical school, 2 or 4-year college or university. The application can be picked up in the counseling office or here. Deadline is March 1, 2019.
Grand Lodge of Iowa is offering the MCEC Technical Scholarship to seniors who plan to enroll in a mechanical or trade program at an accredited community college in Iowa. Applications are available online. All materials must be postmarked by March 1, 2019
Iowa Automobile Dealers Foundations Scholarship - Will award up to 15 scholarships of $2000 to students who plan to pursue training in automotive-related studies, accounting, or business administration. Must have a copy of your Estimated Family Contribution from the FAFSA. Application here. Due - March 1, 2019
Local ~ The Rachel and Richard Sanders Scholarship is available to a GHS senior who resides in rural Grinnell and is attending a vocational school or community college. Applications are available on the GHS counseling office or here. Please return the application to the Counseling Office by March 5, 2019.
Local ~Nathan Figland Wrestling Scholarship- The $300 Nathan Figland Memorial Scholarship. The recipient of this scholarship must be a student that has participated in wrestling while in high school. Applicants will have plans on attending an institution of higher education. Preference will be given to applicants with the intention of wrestling at the collegiate level. The application can be found in the counseling office or here. Applications due March 12, 2019.
- Local - The EPC Scholarship - Applicants must demonstrate financial need and enroll in an institution of higher learning. Applicants are awarded $300. Applications can be picked up in the counseling office or here. - Due- March 15, 2019.
- First Friday Breakfast Club is awarding $3,000 scholarships to Iowa HS Seniors who have demonstrated leadership on efforts to increase education and understanding of LGBT issues and reduce homophobia in their schools and communities. Applications and information can be obtained online. Applications must be postmarked no later than March 15, 2019.
- Local ~ Victor T Wilson MD Scholarship- The recipient of this scholarship should be a student pursuing a degree in a medical/health field with preference given to a student enrolling in nursing or pre-medicine degree program at a 4-year accredited institution of higher education. One $500 scholarship will be awarded. Applications can be picked up in the counseling office or here. Applications due March 15, 2019.
The Herbert Hoover Uncommon Student Award - $6,000 scholarship program for Iowa high school JUNIORS. The program annually identifies and honors up to 15 Iowa high school juniors who propose and then accomplish a project of their own choosing and design. Grades, test scores, essays, and financial need are not evaluated. For more info go here. Look under Grants & Awards. March 15, 2019
Local ~Ronald Graham Memorial Scholarship- The $300 Ronald Graham Memorial Scholarship was established by Dave Kaisand. The recipient of this scholarship may be either male or female and must reside in rural Grinnell. The recipient should be a student attending a vocational school or community college. The application can be found in the counseling office or here. Due March 20, 2019.
- Local ~ The Fitzgerald Education Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to a graduating male or female senior who intends to major in education in college with the goal of being a teacher and has a 2.65 (B-) or above GPA. A $500 minimum award will be presented at the GHS Honors Night. Applications can be picked up in the counseling office or here. Due March 20, 2019
- Local - Dr. Jeff Knobloch Memorial Scholarship - One $1000 scholarship will be given to a graduating senior who displays excellent citizenship and has financial need. Applications can be found in the counseling office or here. Due March 20, 2019.
- The Honors Graduation Scholarship is awarded to five high school seniors who submit the best proposals for how they would better their community. Each of these five students will receive a $10,000 scholarship. The best proposal will receive up to an additional $5,000 to fund their project. Click here to review eligibility requirements and apply. Round one deadline March 23, 2019
- Key Cooperative Community Scholarship Opportunity: Key Cooperative will be offering twelve $1,000 non-renewable scholarships to graduating seniors this school year. Students must plan a course study in one of the following fields: agriculture or ag-business, animal science, communications, information systems, accounting, carpentry or masonry construction. In addition, the student's parent or guardian must be a class A or B member of Key Cooperative (can verify this if the student is unsure). Application here. Due is March 29, 2019.
- Iowa Hospital Education & Research Foundation: The ultimate goal of this program is to fill Iowa health care positions that currently have a notable number of openings by offering significant financial support to students seeking health care education. In exchange for that financial support, each award recipient must commit to working one year in an Iowa hospital for each year of scholarship award. Application here. Due March 30, 2019
- The SFM Foundation Scholarship - Given to students whose parents were killed or seriously injured in workplace accidents while working for Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin employers. SFM Companies are workers' compensation insurance groups. The student's family does not have to be insured by SFM to qualify. The awards may be up to $10,000 per year for 5 years. The application form may be downloaded here. Due March 31, 2019
- Automotive Aftermarket Scholarships are available for students training to become automotive, heavy duty or collision repair technicians, and to students in business, marketing, engineering or other major courses of study. Apply online now Due March 31, 2019
Local ~ Booster Board Scholarship: The Grinnell High School Booster club is offering a scholarship of $250 to 1 female and 1 male graduating senior. There is a minimum of 10 volunteer hours in the concession stand to be considered, please include a copy of your volunteer log. Application here. Due: March 31, 2019.
- The Janice M. Scott Memorial Scholarship Fund was established as a memorial to Mrs. Scott who was killed in the attack on the Pentagon on Sept. 11. You will need a 3.0 or better gpa will attend a four-year college/university in the U.S., have demonstrated leadership abilities through participating in community services or other extracurricular activities, and combined adjusted income for your parent(s) cannot exceed $50,000. Application here. Deadline is March 31, 2019
Scholarships due in April
- The Professional Educators of Iowa Foundation offers scholarships and awards to any Iowa student who qualifies in each of the individual categories. Requirements for all rewards are outlined in the scholarship brochure, which can be viewed online at www.peiowa.org These scholarships were established to create an ongoing network of educational awareness for future teachers. Application here. Deadline is April 1, 2019.
- Local - The Kalleen Buchmeier Memorial Scholarship - $500 scholarship awarded to a GHS senior who has been active in extracurricular activities within the school and community. To be eligible, students must have a 3.0 GPA and plan to attend a 2 or 4-year college. Students fill out an application & write an essay in response to Kali's 2011 graduation speech found here. Applications can be found in the counseling office or here. Due - April 3, 2019
- The Robert Smiley Scholarship is offered by the Iowa Girls' High School Athletic Union and the Smiley Family in honor of the longtime IGHSAU Associate Executive Secretary who passed away in 2003. Applicants must be female and letter in at least one varsity sport each year of HS. They must also have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Applicants experiencing hardship (financial or other) will receive special consideration. GHS can submit one application. A scholarship committee will select the GHS nominee. Robert Smiley Scholarship Application Due April 5, 2019
- Local ~ Bear Creek Chapter Whitetails Unlimited Scholarship is open to all graduating seniors. The scholarships awarded will total up to $250. Applications can be picked up in the counseling office or here. Deadline is April 10, 2019.
- Local- SHE Counts First Generation Scholarship - The recipient of this scholarship will be a first-generation college-bound female. First priority will be given to a student with demonstrated financial need. A renewable $500 scholarship will be awarded a maximum of $2000. The scholarship will be awarded for a maximum of 4 years as long as the student is enrolled in an accredited institution. Applications can be picked up in the counseling department or here. Due - April 10, 2019.
- Local ~ Newburg Alumni Association Award - The recipient of this $400 scholarship may be either male or female who is a rural resident of the Newburg area (former Newburg Consolidated School District). The application can be picked up in the counseling office or the following link. Due April 15, 2018. Application here
- Local- The Audrey Rivers Griffith Scholarship - $2000 scholarship for a senior who demonstrates financial need & plans to enter the Science field. Must have attended Grinnell Schools for 5 years. The application can be picked up in counseling officer or here. Due - April 15, 2019
- Local- Audrey Pederson Memorial Scholarship application is now available on the GHS website and in the Counseling Office. To be eligible, you must be a graduating senior who demonstrates financial need and will attend a vocational school or community college. The application can be picked up in the counseling office or here. Application deadline is April 15, 2019.
- ISSDA Evelyn Covington Scholarship - The Evelyn Covington Scholarship Award provides up to ten $1,000 scholarships annually to senior high school children of current ISSDA (Iowa State Sheriffs' & Deputies' Association) members. Online application here. Due: April 18, 2019
- Brian Pearson Memorial Scholarship - Each year, this $1,000 scholarship is offered to one male and one female high school junior or senior that has participated in past Iowa Games events such as Summer Games, Winter Games, Net Fest, etc. Application here. Applications must be received by April 8, 2019.
- Freightliner Truck Center Companies are offering diesel technician scholarships for graduating seniors who will enroll in an accredited diesel or collision repair technology program. The demand for diesel techs is growing rapidly with an expected industry growth rate of 15% by 2020. Learn how you can apply for a $10,000 scholarship with Truck Center Companies. Application here. Due 2 month before the start of college-level class.
Scholarships due in May
Local ~ Donald and Carol D. Kaisand Scholarship- The Donald & Carol D. Kaisand Scholarship was established in 2019 for a graduating senior who will attend Iowa State University. First priority will be given to students who possess financial need. The recipient must complete the first term at ISU and show proof of continued enrollment to his/her high school counselor before receiving the scholarship money. Applications can be picked up the counseling officer or here. Applications are due May 7, 2019
- The Robert D. Blue Scholarship is awarded to Iowa graduating high school seniors who will attend a college/university in Iowa. You will need to write a 500-word essay, and submit you or your family's tax returns. Applications are only accepted online at www.rdblue.org/application/. Deadline is May 10.
- Children's Cancer Connection Empowering Scholarship - Awarded to graduating Iowa high school seniors who have been directly affected by childhood cancer (includes individuals who currently have or have had cancer before age 18, or a sibling of that individual). You must attend an accredited two or four-year institution and have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Children's Cancer Connection Empowering Scholarship App Due - May 24, 2019
|Scholarship due in June
- The Joe Francis Haircare Scholarships will be awarded to students currently applying for entrance into cosmetology/barbering school. Applications are accepted from January 1-June 1 each year. Apply here
- The Iowa PGA Foundation is offering an annual scholarship! The Charlie Burkart Scholarship is offered to students who have an interest in golf and could potentially contribute to the game in some capacity in the future. The application is available here. Due June 14, 2019
- Latinos Unidos of Iowa is proud to grant scholarships for Latino/Latina students who will attend Iowa institutions of higher education. An important criteria in evaluating applications is the applicant's participation in school activities, volunteer activities or activities within the Latino community. Further information and guidelines can be found here. Deadline is June 15, 2019.