Scholarships with Extended Due Date
- The Bright Scholars of Iowa Award - is a need-based grant designed to help ensure that selected outstanding Iowa high school seniors have the financial means to complete a two-year or four-year college education without debt. Scholarships will be awarded to students who plan to attend UNI, ISU, IOWA or DMACC, Southwest Iowa CC, Indian Hills CC. Applicants must be a high achieving student, and qualify for a Pell grant as determined by filing the FAFSA The amount of the award will equal the amount of the first year of attendance. Go to: http://www.brightscholarsofiowa.org/ Deadline varies by institution but opens after completion of FAFSA
Dollars for Scholars INFORMATION: DUE MARCH 15th!
2019 Scholarship America Student Volunteer Award as part of your Grinnell Dollars for Scholars Application
Just Announced!! If you complete the volunteer portion and add your GPA you could be selected to apply for the award if you have these qualifications.
- Be a high school senior
- Match to a Dollars for Scholars affiliate
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Have completed a minimum of 1000 total hours of volunteering in the last four years, and have them entered in the Activities section of their student profile
Scholarships due in February
- America's Farmers Grow Ag Leaders, sponsored by the Monsanto fund, is giving students the chance to earn a $1,500 scholarship in an ag-related field of study. You can apply at here. Due February 6, 2019
- The Hy-Vee Foundation Scholarship Program - Offers forty $1000 scholarships to high school seniors who have worked for Hy-Vee or subsidiary since Sept. 15 of this past year. Sons/daughters of full or part-time Hy-Vee employees (six months employment as of Sept. 15) are also eligible. Students must have an ACT score. Applications here. Due -February 8, 2019
- Iowa Credit Union Foundation promotes the Warren A. Morrow Memorial Scholarship which is awarded to students who have an account in his/her name and a member in good standing at a credit union that is a member of the Iowa Credit Union League. The online application can be found here. Deadline is February 8, 2019.
- Local ~ The Clifford and Marilyn Strovers Scholarship is available to students who demonstrate financial need and plan to attend a trade school or community college. If you would like to apply, pick up a form in the counseling office, or print it off here. The application must be returned to the Counseling Office by February 9, 2019.
- We the Student Essay Contest Scholarship: Essay writing contest, top prize $5,000. This year we are asking you to dig deep and make your scholarship essay personal. A citizen comes in many shapes and sizes. Some serve their community by voting and participating in political events. Others serve through entrepreneurship or philanthropy. We want to know what you think makes a good citizen in your community. We encourage you to bring emotion, creativity, specific examples (including current events), and well-researched facts into what you write. A good essay will demonstrate how citizenship is not an abstract idea, but is, in fact, action inspired by constitutional principles. Application here. Deadline is February 14, 2019
- Iowa Newspaper Foundation Scholarships - Several scholarships are offered for students interested in journalism, photo-journalism, communications, graphic design, etc. More information can be found at the - Iowa Newspaper Foundation Website. Due - February 15, 2019
- The Foundation for Blended and Online Learning Scholarship scholarship program to assist current high school seniors who have completed a minimum of five (5) blended or online courses during their last two years of high school and plan to continue their education in college or vocational school programs. Application available here. Deadline February 15, 2019.
- Mediacom Communications - For the 2018-2019 school year, is again offering 55 -$1000, non-renewable scholarships through its World Class Scholarship Program to senior high school students in areas served by Mediacom. While it is not required that the student be a Mediacom customer, the applicant must live in the areas serviced by Mediacom. The application is online. Deadline February 15, 2019
- National Co-Op Scholarship Application- The national co-op scholarship program only applies to specific institutions including Clarkson, Drexel, Johnson & Wales Universities, Merrimack College, Wentworth and Rochester Institutes of Technology, University of Cincinnati, State University of New York Oswego and The University of Toledo. Go here to complete the application online. Due February 15, 2019
- Alliant Energy Innovation Scholarship - Alliant Energy recognizes outstanding community leadership in young people and helps students reach their academic goals. Up to 25 $1000 scholarships are awarded to students annually through the Alliant Energy Innovation Scholarship Program. Award selection is based on participation in a leadership role in community service activities and volunteer work; academic grade point average; standardized test scores; and content of a 300-word essay submission. Application here. Due: February 15, 2019
- Masonry Institute of Iowa Scholarship - Applicants must be continuing their education at an Iowa school in the Construction, Architecture or Engineering field. TEN scholarships of $500 were awarded to seniors last year. More information and the application can be found here. Due February 15, 2019.
- Iowa Financial Know-How Challenge Senior Scholarship - $2000 - Awarded to 30 Iowa high school seniors. Click here to register. Iowa Student Loan will then email you instructions to complete 2 online components and a related assessment. Essays may be required as a tiebreaker. Due -February 22, 2019
Scholarships due in March
Iowa Farm Bureau Federation Scholarship - Iowa Farm Bureau awards (54) $1,000 scholarships annually to students pursuing the completion of a two or four-year college degree pursuing a major in agriculture, nursing or education. The 2019 deadline to submit your IFBF Scholarship application to your county Farm Bureau office is March 1, 2019. The complete IFBF Scholarship application guidelines and a county Farm Bureau directory are included in the application.
National Cellular Directory Scholarship - Winners will be chosen based on the nature of their essay and quality of their answers. We are looking for writers who are passionate about technology and who have a strong opinion on the impact that technology has on communication. Go to the website to see application details. Application due March 1, 2019.
Matthew Shepard Scholarship- Applicants Qualifications: Graduating Iowa High School senior, GPA of 3.0 or higher, ACT of 22 or better, Openly LGBTQ, have a high moral and ethical standards and conduct. The application can be found here. Application due March 1, 2019
Local ~The Lance Reimers Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a GHS graduating senior who attended Davis Elementary and wishes to further his/her education in an accredited program at any vocational/technical school, 2 or 4-year college or university. The application can be picked up in the counseling office or here. Deadline is March 1, 2019.
Grand Lodge of Iowa is offering the MCEC Technical Scholarship to seniors who plan to enroll in a mechanical or trade program at an accredited community college in Iowa. Applications are available online. All materials must be postmarked by March 1, 2019
Iowa Automobile Dealers Foundations Scholarship - Will award up to 15 scholarships of $2000 to students who plan to pursue training in automotive-related studies, accounting, or business administration. Must have a copy of your Estimated Family Contribution from the FAFSA. Application here. Due - March 1, 2019
Local- Iowa Area Arts Council Scholarships are awarded in the amount of $1500. The applicant must be an Iowa Resident who will graduate in 2016 and be accepted as a full-time undergraduate student at a fully accredited Iowa college or university with a major in at least one of the following arts areas: dance, literature, music, theater, folk & traditional arts, or visual arts. Application here. Deadline is March 1, 2019
- The All Iowa Opportunity Scholarship (AIOS) This scholarship is for high school seniors who will be attending college for the first time in Fall 2019. To be eligible, students must: File the FAFSA on/before March 1, 2019; File the Iowa Financial Aid application on/before March 1, 2019; Attend an eligible college or university in Iowa; Have an eligible Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on the 2019-20 FAFSA. (The 2019-20 eligible EFC won't be determined until late Spring 2019. For reference, the 2018-19 eligible EFC was $0 - $9,064). An application can be found here. Due March 1, 2019
Local ~ The Rachel and Richard Sanders Scholarship is available to a GHS senior who resides in rural Grinnell and is attending a vocational school or community college. Applications are available on the GHS counseling office or here. Please return the application to the Counseling Office by March 5, 2019.
Local- Dan F. Agnew Scholarship of $500 will be awarded to a GHS graduating senior with an interest in education, agriculture or business. You will need to graduate in the top 40% of your class, have participated in extra-curricular school and community activities, and show character and leadership. Application can be found here. Deadline is March 8, 2019.
Local ~Nathan Figland Wrestling Scholarship- The $300 Nathan Figland Memorial Scholarship. The recipient of this scholarship must be a student that has participated in wrestling while in high school. Applicants will have plans on attending an institution of higher education. Preference will be given to applicants with the intention of wrestling at the collegiate level. The application can be found in the counseling office or here. Applications due March 12, 2019.
- Local - The EPC Scholarship - Applicants must demonstrate financial need and enroll in an institution of higher learning. Applicants are awarded $300. Applications can be picked up in the counseling office or here. - Due- March 15, 2019.
- First Friday Breakfast Club is awarding $3,000 scholarships to Iowa HS Seniors who have demonstrated leadership on efforts to increase education and understanding of LGBT issues and reduce homophobia in their schools and communities. Applications and information can be obtained online. Applications must be postmarked no later than March 15, 2019.
- Local- The Auxiliary Health Care Career Scholarship will award several scholarships to graduating seniors who plan to pursue an education in the healthcare field. Selection of scholarship recipients will be based on a desire for a healthcare career, financial need, scholastic ability, and character. Application here. Deadline is March 15, 2019.
- Local ~ Victor T Wilson MD Scholarship- The recipient of this scholarship should be a student pursuing a degree in a medical/health field with preference given to a student enrolling in nursing or pre-medicine degree program at a 4-year accredited institution of higher education. One $500 scholarship will be awarded. Applications can be picked up in the counseling office or here. Applications due March 15, 2019.
Consumers Energy annually awards academic college scholarships to members' children. The selection is based on a combination of grades, work experience, participation in school and community activities and a recommendation from a third party. More information and application can be found here. Due March 15, 2019
LINEWORKER/POWERLINE SCHOLARSHIP Consumers Energy annually awards a Lineworker Scholarship to assist a student pursuing a career in the power industry. Applicants must have applied and been accepted in the Lineworker/Powerline program at an approved Midwest college of their choice. This scholarship is limited to Iowa residents. Preference will be given to Consumers Energy members. Applications can be found here. Due March 15, 2019
Local ~Ronald Graham Memorial Scholarship- The $300 Ronald Graham Memorial Scholarship was established by Dave Kaisand. The recipient of this scholarship may be either male or female and must reside in rural Grinnell. The recipient should be a student attending a vocational school or community college. The application can be found in the counseling office or here. Due March 20, 2019.
- Local ~ The Fitzgerald Education Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to a graduating male or female senior who intends to major in education in college with the goal of being a teacher and has a 2.65 (B-) or above GPA. A $500 minimum award will be presented at the GHS Honors Night. Applications can be picked up in the counseling office or here. Due March 20, 2019
- Local - Dr. Jeff Knobloch Memorial Scholarship - One $1000 scholarship will be given to a graduating senior who displays excellent citizenship and has financial need. Applications can be found in the counseling office or here. Due March 20, 2019.
- Local- The 2019 Dolly Ahrens Achievement Scholarships are available to graduating GHS seniors who are not necessarily the best academic students or the most talented individuals but should be a self-directed person who is a responsible contributor to the community. The scholarship will be awarded to up to ten seniors in the amount of $2,500. Application here. Applications must be returned to the counseling office. Deadline is March 22, 2019.
- The Honors Graduation Scholarship is awarded to five high school seniors who submit the best proposals for how they would better their community. Each of these five students will receive a $10,000 scholarship. The best proposal will receive up to an additional $5,000 to fund their project. Click here to review eligibility requirements and apply. Round one deadline March 23, 2019
- Key Cooperative Community Scholarship Opportunity: Key Cooperative will be offering twelve $1,000 non-renewable scholarships to graduating seniors this school year. Students must plan a course study in one of the following fields: agriculture or ag-business, animal science, communications, information systems, accounting, carpentry or masonry construction. In addition, the student's parent or guardian must be a class A or B member of Key Cooperative (can verify this if the student is unsure). Application here. Due is March 29, 2019.
- Iowa Hospital Education & Research Foundation: The ultimate goal of this program is to fill Iowa health care positions that currently have a notable number of openings by offering significant financial support to students seeking health care education. In exchange for that financial support, each award recipient must commit to working one year in an Iowa hospital for each year of a scholarship award. Application here. Due March 30, 2019
- Learning Disabilities Association of Iowa Scholarships - Three $1000 scholarships to high school seniors who plan to enroll in college, vocational, or fifth year program in the fall of 2019. Applicants must have a current IEP. Application here. Application Due March 30, 2019
- The SFM Foundation Scholarship - Given to students whose parents were killed or seriously injured in workplace accidents while working for Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin employers. SFM Companies are workers' compensation insurance groups. The student's family does not have to be insured by SFM to qualify. The awards may be up to $10,000 per year for 5 years. The application form may be downloaded here. Due March 31, 2019
- Automotive Aftermarket Scholarships are available for students training to become automotive, heavy duty or collision repair technicians, and to students in business, marketing, engineering or other major courses of study. Apply online now Due March 31, 2019
- The ACACIA Leadership Scholarship is designed to identify and reward outstanding male high school seniors who will attend Iowa State University and who have demonstrated the ability to excel in academics, school activities, and community involvement. Preference for awarding of the scholarships is given to students with an interest in the ACACIA Fraternity. Demonstrated financial need is not a criterion. Deadline is March 31, 2018 Application here.
Local ~ Booster Board Scholarship: The Grinnell High School Booster club is offering a scholarship of $250 to 1 female and 1 male graduating senior. There is a minimum of 10 volunteer hours in the concession stand to be considered, please include a copy of your volunteer log. Application here. Due: March 31, 2019.
- The Janice M. Scott Memorial Scholarship Fund was established as a memorial to Mrs. Scott who was killed in the attack on the Pentagon on Sept. 11. You will need a 3.0 or better gpa will attend a four-year college/university in the U.S., have demonstrated leadership abilities through participating in community services or other extracurricular activities, and combined adjusted income for your parent(s) cannot exceed $50,000. Application here. Deadline is March 31, 2019
Scholarships due in April
- The Professional Educators of Iowa Foundation offers scholarships and awards to any Iowa student who qualifies in each of the individual categories. Requirements for all rewards are outlined in the scholarship brochure, which can be viewed online at www.peiowa.org These scholarships were established to create an ongoing network of educational awareness for future teachers. Application here. Deadline is April 1, 2019.
- Local- Poweshiek Mutual Insurance Association is pleased to announce its intent to provide a $500 scholarship to a graduating senior of GHS. The Clifford L. Strovers Scholarship is for one year only. To qualify, you must be admitted to an accredited university, community college, or private college, be a full-time student for both semester of college, and have a minimum 2.5 gpa. Winners will be selected on merit and financial need. Application here. Deadline is April 1, 2019
- Local- The Grinnell Masonic Lodge will award one $500 scholarship to a graduating senior at GHS who exhibits good character leadership, and service to school and community. Please fill out the form digitally then print. Application here. Turn in the application to the counseling office by the deadline of April 1, 2019
- Iowa Golf Association Foundation - once again Ann Griffel Scholarship and Sani Scholarship will be awarding several $2000 scholarships to Iowa High School seniors who intend to further their education at an Iowa institution of higher learning, attending either a college, university or trade school. Scholarships will be awarded based on academic performance, extracurricular activities and leadership qualities, not on golf accomplishments or ability. Applications can be found here. Deadline is April 1, 2019.
- Local - The Kalleen Buchmeier Memorial Scholarship - $500 scholarship awarded to a GHS senior who has been active in extracurricular activities within the school and community. To be eligible, students must have a 3.0 GPA and plan to attend a 2 or 4-year college. Students fill out an application & write an essay in response to Kali's 2011 graduation speech found here. Applications can be found in the counseling office or here. Due - April 3, 2019
- The Robert Smiley Scholarship is offered by the Iowa Girls' High School Athletic Union and the Smiley Family in honor of the longtime IGHSAU Associate Executive Secretary who passed away in 2003. Applicants must be female and letter in at least one varsity sport each year of HS. They must also have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Applicants experiencing hardship (financial or other) will receive special consideration. GHS can submit one application. A scholarship committee will select the GHS nominee. Robert Smiley Scholarship Application Due April 5, 2019
- Local-Poweshiek County Retired School Personnel Teacher Scholarship awards a graduating senior in the county who wants to be a teacher. You must write an essay about the experiences you have had that makes you think you would be a good teacher. Application here. Deadline is April 5, 2019
- Local- 2019 Grinnell Elks/Howard Edwards Scholarship All High School graduating seniors who are U.S. Citizens are eligible to apply. Applications must be turned in or mailed. Application here. Due April 5, 2019
- Local ~ Bear Creek Chapter Whitetails Unlimited Scholarship is open to all graduating seniors. The scholarships awarded will total up to $250. Applications can be picked up in the counseling office or here. Deadline is April 10, 2019.
- Local- D. Arlene Johnson Memorial Scholarship - $500 - Applicants must be senior girls who have participated in either golf or basketball throughout their high school careers. Application here. Due - April 10, 2019
- Local- SHE Counts First Generation Scholarship - The recipient of this scholarship will be a first-generation college-bound female. First priority will be given to a student with demonstrated financial need. A renewable $500 scholarship will be awarded a maximum of $2000. The scholarship will be awarded for a maximum of 4 years as long as the student is enrolled in an accredited institution. Applications can be picked up in the counseling department or here. Due - April 10, 2019.
- Local ~ Newburg Alumni Association Award - The recipient of this $400 scholarship may be either male or female who is a rural resident of the Newburg area (former Newburg Consolidated School District). The application can be picked up in the counseling office or the following link. Due April 15, 2018. Application here
- Local- The Audrey Rivers Griffith Scholarship - $2000 scholarship for a senior who demonstrates financial need & plans to enter the Science field. Must have attended Grinnell Schools for 5 years. The application can be picked up in counseling officer or here. Due - April 15, 2019
- Local- Audrey Pederson Memorial Scholarship application is now available on the GHS website and in the Counseling Office. To be eligible, you must be a graduating senior who demonstrates financial need and will attend a vocational school or community college. The application can be picked up in the counseling office or here. Application deadline is April 15, 2019.
- Local- Helen and Mildred T. Stewart: offer a scholarship to a GHS graduating senior who are particularly interested in Library Science. If there are no such graduates scholarships may be paid to graduates who will enroll in a college liberal arts program. Financial need may or may not be a factor. Application here. Applications will need to be returned to the office of Bierman & Petig before April 15, 2019.
- Local -The Grinnell Community Scholarship is given to GHS graduates who live within the city limits of Grinnell, meet the financial guidelines (should no income-eligible individuals apply, consideration will be open to all who apply), and attend a vocational/technical school, 2 or 4-year college/university. This is a one-year scholarship for $1000 payable to the school of attendance. Two-part application Step 1 here and 2nd part here. Deadline is April 17, 2019
- ISSDA Evelyn Covington Scholarship - The Evelyn Covington Scholarship Award provides up to ten $1,000 scholarships annually to senior high school children of current ISSDA (Iowa State Sheriffs' & Deputies' Association) members. Online application here. Due: April 18, 2019
- Brian Pearson Memorial Scholarship - Each year, this $1,000 scholarship is offered to one male and one female high school junior or senior that has participated in past Iowa Games events such as Summer Games, Winter Games, Net Fest, etc. Application here. Applications must be received by April 8, 2019.
- Freightliner Truck Center Companies are offering diesel technician scholarships for graduating seniors who will enroll in an accredited diesel or collision repair technology program. The demand for diesel techs is growing rapidly with an expected industry growth rate of 15% by 2020. Learn how you can apply for a $10,000 scholarship with Truck Center Companies. Application here. Due 2 months before the start of college-level class.
- Local- The Grinnell Rotary Club Scholarship- is available to any graduating GHS senior. You must attend 3 Rotary meetings during the school year. Meetings are held Tuesday evenings at 6 p.m. at the West Side Diner. The Rotary Club provides a meal for each student. Please use this google doc to sign up for the meetings you would like to attend. Applications here. Due April 26, 2019.
Scholarships due in May
Local ~ Donald and Carol D. Kaisand Scholarship- The Donald & Carol D. Kaisand Scholarship was established in 2019 for a graduating senior who will attend Iowa State University. First priority will be given to students who possess financial need. The recipient must complete the first term at ISU and show proof of continued enrollment to his/her high school counselor before receiving the scholarship money. Applications can be picked up the counseling officer or here. Applications are due May 7, 2019
- The Robert D. Blue Scholarship is awarded to Iowa graduating high school seniors who will attend a college/university in Iowa. You will need to write a 500-word essay, and submit you or your family's tax returns. Applications are only accepted online at www.rdblue.org/application/. Deadline is May 10, 2019.
- Children's Cancer Connection Empowering Scholarship - Awarded to graduating Iowa high school seniors who have been directly affected by childhood cancer (includes individuals who currently have or have had cancer before age 18, or a sibling of that individual). You must attend an accredited two or four-year institution and have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Children's Cancer Connection Empowering Scholarship App Due - May 24, 2019
|Scholarship due in June
- The $1000.00 Pureland Supply Scholarship is available to students who have been accepted to an accredited trade school, vocational college, technical school or community college for the study of trade, craft, or labor occupations. Recipients are chosen on their ability to describe how their chosen trade or field plays an important role in today’s world and why this is the path they have chosen. Application here. Due Date June 1, 2019
- The Joe Francis Haircare Scholarships will be awarded to students currently applying for entrance into cosmetology/barbering school. Applications are accepted from January 1-June 1 each year. Apply here
- The Iowa PGA Foundation is offering an annual scholarship! The Charlie Burkart Scholarship is offered to students who have an interest in golf and could potentially contribute to the game in some capacity in the future. The application is available here. Due June 14, 2019
- Latinos Unidos of Iowa is proud to grant scholarships for Latino/Latina students who will attend Iowa institutions of higher education. An important criteria in evaluating applications is the applicant's participation in school activities, volunteer activities or activities within the Latino community. Further information and guidelines can be found here. Deadline is June 15, 2019.